Tuesday, July 05, 2011
Telecommuting Successes: Lessons from Legal Departments
Best practice telecommuting programs are:
• Available to all employees who can conceivably work remotely (reduces backlash and stigma).
• Define “core hours” when the telecommuter is to be available.
• Provide training for supervisors.
• Provide technology and support.
• Ensure compliance with employment laws.
PAR member policies (both law firms and legal departments) highlight the importance of these best practices:
• Offer the same compensation, benefits, and promotion opportunities to telecommuters as to those not telecommuting.
• Establish a consistent schedule.
• Ensure effective accessibility.